The 2015 ECOWAS fellowship program for masters and PhD study is now open for application. This fully funded program targets nationals of ECOWAS member states who intend to pursue their masters and PhD study in higher education institutions of ECOWAS.
Association of African Universities is pleased to announce the 2015 maiden edition of the ECOWAS Fellowship Programme for Masters and PhD (EFP) under the sponsorship of the Economic Commission for West African States (ECOWAS). The aim of the program is to promote capacity building within the ECOWAS 15-member countries by providing full fellowships for training and education for nationals of ECOWAS member states in higher education institutions of ECOWAS.
- The Programme is open to qualified nationals (including graduate students, researchers, lecturers, and staff) of ECOWAS member states who will be admitted for Masters or PhD degree programme at any one of the following three universities: University of Lagos, Nigeria, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, Université Cheikh Anta Diop, Senegal.
- A good first degree (at least second class upper division or its equivalent) is required for Masters degree programme. An MPhil degree or its equivalent is required for PhD programme.
- Priority will be given to Anglophone nationals who want admission into Francophone institutions, as well as to Francophone nationals who want admission into Anglophone institutions. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Fields of study
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- Earth and Life Sciences
- Health including maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS, etc
- Agriculture, Food Security and related disciplines
- History of Africa
- Information technology
- Gender issues
What the Fellowship program covers
The program is fully funded and covers expenses such as tuition fees, cost of living, travel, visa, insurance etc. ECOWAS will pay the tuition fees directly to the institutions and provide a monthly stipend of US$600 per Masters student and US$800 per PhD student to cover all other expenses for the duration of the degree programme.
How to apply
Qualified candidates will be admitted to one of the three institutions mentioned above. Please ensure that the institution that you have selected offers the course you have chosen. All the three universities provide information about their degree programmes on their websites. Your application must include the following documents:
- A photocopy of the degree and other certificates.
- Completed EFP Form. Download the EFP form here
- Most recent curriculum vitae.
Applications must be sent electronically to the address below:
The Director, Directorate of Research & Academic Planning
Association of African Universities
Aviation Road Ext., Airport Residential Area,
P.O. Box 5744, Accra-North, GHANA