In terms of university rankings, in this article, I will list the best artificial intelligence universities in the United States where you can obtain a degree in artificial intelligence both for undergraduate( Bachelors) and graduate level (Masters).
First, let’s start by defining the term artificial intelligence. According to Wikipedia, artificial intelligence is often used to describe machines (or computers) that mimic “cognitive” functions that humans associate with the human mind, such as “learning” and “problem solving”
Recently, using machines to perform specific functions has increased and new approaches of using AI to solving human needs to make the most of its chance of successfully achieving its goals has increased too. The function of artificial intelligence is more abstract, as it involves describing qualities, or understanding meanings in different contexts.
Artificial intelligence degree can be earned in graduate and undergraduate level. There are also, online schools for it. To study AI in the United States is one of the preferred places and to thorough learning on the program, here are the best artificial intelligence universities in the United States.
10 Best Artificial Intelligence Universities in the United States.
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (PITTSBURGH, PA)
To study AI at Carnegie Mellon University can be done in graduate or undergraduate level. CMU is a private research university located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the United States. The School of Computer Science has a strong pedigree in the AI making it one of the best artificial intelligence universities across the world. Interesting, any students studying AI take part in the DARPA Robotics Challenge.
2. MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY “MIT” (CAMBRIDGE, MA)
MIT is a popular school of technology in the United States. Established in 1861. The school pride in offering various communication and technology programs, which artificial intelligence is one of the key areas.
Massachusetts Institute of technology is in the league of best artificial intelligence universities in the US. Since, 2003 when the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory were created, it has produced many students who are doing well cyberspace industry. The largest and most prominent of the MIT laboratories.
For Degree in Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence research and course work opportunities in MIT, there are more than 100 senior researchers and faculty members representing eight academic departments, managing more than 50 research groups and hundreds of projects. Here, all research and experimentation fall under three generalized categories: Artificial Intelligence, Systems, and Theory.
3. STANFORD UNIVERSITY (STANFORD, CA)
Stanford University is amongst the best artificial intelligence universities in the United States. The Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SAIL) has been studying and researching Artificial Intelligence since 1962. SAIL offers courses, hosts events, and manages outreaches to colleges.
Degree in artificial intelligence is obtained in the School of Engineering. The Graduate Certificate has one required course, and three required electives. The Certificate is 13 to 15 units.
Required Course includes the following.
- Artificial Intelligence: Principles and Techniques
Some of the Electives:
- Decision Making Under Uncertainty
- Computational Logic
- Introduction to Robotics
- Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning
Students have a maximum of three years to complete the Certificate. Likewise,
Stanford University offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science which includes courses on AI.
4. HARVARD UNIVERSITY (CAMBRIDGE, MA) Students can obtain a degree in Artificial intelligence even up to doctoral level. The school of computer science and engineering at Harvard University stands tall in the best artificial intelligence universities in the US.
Students enrolled in AI are advised to engage with the Harvard College Engineering Society for cross-disciplinary research, and networking opportunities.
Harvard University offers some of these related courses in AI:
Related Program and Courses in AI:
- Online Professional Certificate in Computer Science for Artificial Intelligence (in collaboration with edX)
- Online Introduction to Artificial Intelligence with Python
- Online Data Science: Machine Learning
- Online Introduction to Deep Learning
- Online Text Analytics and Natural Language Processing
In 2015 the Future Society at Harvard’s Kennedy School created The AI Initiative, which is yet another artificial intelligence research center. The center focuses more on research, whereas the initiative has a stronger emphasis on shaping global policy as it relates to AI. This makes Harvard one of the few schools that put as many resources into understanding the ramifications of AI as it invests into actually developing AI technology.
5. The UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY (BERKELEY, CA)
This is one of the biggest and oldest universities in the city of California, in the United States. The University of California has many research professors and research centers making the institution one of the best artificial intelligence universities within and outside the united states.
Berkeley Artificial Intelligence Research Laboratory offers seminars and courses such as Computational Imagining and Robotic Manipulation and Interaction.
The Robotics and Intelligent Machines Laboratory at Berkeley includes:
- Biomimetics Millisystem Lab
- CITRIS People and Robots Initiative
- Berkeley Laboratory for Automation Science and Engineering
- Robot Learning Group
- Automated Science and Engineering
- Embedded Human project
- Berkeley AeRobot (BEAR) project
- Computer Vision group
- Medical Robotics at Berkeley
- Network Embedded Systems Technology
Additionally, research centers include the Laboratory for Information and System Science, the Vision and Learning Center, the Center for Human Compatible Artificial Intelligence, and the International Computer Science Institute.
6. YALE UNIVERSITY (NEW HAVEN, CT)
Recently, YALE University has become an ICT hub. The computer science and engineering department prides itself on the interdisciplinary nature of its subject and maintains connections with other departments including psychology, linguistics, music, medicine, and many others.
The diversity of the degrees available has also increased to include the four-year Bachelor of Science or Art degrees, a terminal Master of Science degree, and a Doctor of Philosophy.
Degrees in AI:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with an Artificial Intelligence research focus
- Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science with an Artificial Intelligence research focus
- Master of Science in Computer Science with an Artificial Intelligence research focus
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science with an Artificial Intelligence research focus
At Yale, research is carried out in the Intelligent Computing Lab and The Center for Computational Vision and Control. The research here particularly focuses on equipping machines so that they can interpret the vague data received from sensors. This research is critical for enabling AI to interact with the 3 dimensional, non-digital world.
7. UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND (COLLEGE PARK, MD)
At the university of Maryland, the Computer Science department is waxing stronger and it is groped in the best artificial intelligence universities in the United States. The curriculum of the department offers a comprehensive introduction to Artificial Intelligence through topics such as:
- automated planning
- cognitive modelling
- evolutionary computation
- game theory
- machine learning
- natural language processing
- neural computation
Degrees in Computer Science:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Combined Bachelor/Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- PhD in Computer Science
Researchers affiliated with the department are involved with 17 major areas of inquiry. These include Programming Languages, Augmented and Virtual Reality, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Vision, and Artificial Intelligence.
Centers and Institutes of research include the Center for Automation Research, the Computational Linguistics and Information Processing Center, the Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory, and the Institute for Advanced Computer Studies.
8. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS (AUSTIN, TX)
The university’s college of natural science is one of the biggest in the US. Students can study AI from any level. Although are other related degrees such as Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science Turing Scholars in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science Teaching in Computer Science
- Integrated Bachelor and Master of Science degree in Computer Science
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Concentration in all undergraduate programs. Artificial Intelligence research focus is offered for undergraduates and graduates, with extensive coursework for both.
Research groups affiliated with the AI concentration include the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Machine Learning Research Group, Data Mining Laboratory, Knowledge-Base Research Group, Learning Agents Research Group, Neural Networks Research Group, Texas Action Group, The UT Austin Villa Robot Soccer Team, Computer Vision Research Group, and the Virtual Reality Lab.
Research areas of the Department of Computer Science include Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Computer Architecture, Model-Driven Engineering, and Theoretic Computer Science.
Here, the study of Artificial Intelligence is taught through topics such as Automatic Programming, Autonomous Agents, Multi-agent Systems, and Natural Language Processing. Over 20 courses are available, dealing with the various aspects of the field and more than 10 research laboratories and groups are dedicated to its advancement.
9. The UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES (LOS ANGELES, CA)
Certainly, the University of California, in LOS ANGELES will make the list of best artificial intelligence universities. The college of computer science has seven departments, including Electrical Engineering, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and Computer Science.
A distinction is made between Computer Science and Computer Science Engineering with the latter providing students with an additional foundation in computer system hardware.
Additionally, the school is affiliated with big Research centers like the Center for Domain-Specific Computing, the Scalable Analytics Institute, the Center for Autonomous Intelligent Networked Systems, and the Center for Systematic, Measurable, Actionable, Resilient and Technology-driven Health, also known as the Center for SMART Health.
Other research laboratories and groups include the Bio-cybernetics Laboratory, the Automated Reasoning Group, and the Laboratory for Embedded Collaborative Systems, the Wireless Networking Group, and the Internet Research Laboratory.
Related Computer Science Degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science or Electrical and Computer Engineering
Related Law Degrees with the PULSE Fellowships in Artificial Intelligence, Law, and Policy at UCLA Law:
- Master of Legal Studies
- Juris Doctor Program
- Master of Laws
- Doctor of Juridical Sciences
- Statistical and Relational Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Machine Learning, Data Science and Decision Lab
10. CORNELL UNIVERSITY (ITHACA, NY)
Cornell University is doing well in the field of artificial intelligence. It has one of the oldest Computer Science departments in the United States, established in 1965.
The department maintains 12 major avenues of research in areas such as Graphics, Programming Languages, Robotics, Scientific Computing, and Artificial Intelligence. Research groups specific to Artificial Intelligence are working in areas that include:
- Computational sustainability
- Game and decision theory, connections to economics
- Knowledge representation and reasoning
- Machine learning
- Natural language processing, computational linguistics, and information retrieval
Degrees in AI:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence research
- Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence research
- Master of Engineering in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence research
- Master of Science in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence research
- Ph.D. in Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence research
In the nearest future, machines will be used to perform specific functions which will be applied in most sectors. Currently, they are used and need more experts to join the industry.
There are recognized schools in the United States offering AI not included in my lists. The indices used for my 10 best artificial intelligence universities in the United States are based on university rankings. To apply, kindly, visit the official page of the schools.